Friday 18 October 2019

Is this THE Christmas 2019 palette? The Lolita Por Vida eyeshadow palette, by Kat Von D Beauty.

"Fall in love for life with 18 romantic shades in matte, shimmer, foil and super-glitter finishes. Just like Lolita, all the shades in this palette were created with just the right balance of undertones to look beautiful on a range of skin tones. With warm golds and browns, go-to neutral tones and ultra-romantic rosy purples, there are endless ways to make your look your own, whether it's elegantly subtle or beautifully bold..."



I was rearranging my KvD palettes at the end of September and was thinking that I hoped that she wasn't going to release another 24-colourful-shades-shoved-together palette for Christmas, because she's done that several times in a row and it's getting old & predictable now, so I wouldn't have bothered buying it as I'm much more into more focused colour stories nowadays [my Serpentina, Fetish & Vegan Love palettes went to new homes in The Great Declutter of 2019]. The very next day I saw the promo video for Lolita Por Vida and started to get excited...

... and then almost two weeks before the launch date for the palette, Debenhams accidentally sold some palettes through their site - and I happened to be one of the people who got their hands on the palette. So I've had time to try every shade at least once, and I'm ready to share my verdict.






No - none of the shades from last year's 8-pan Lolita palette are repeated in Lolita Por Vida, which was a initial concern of mine. As you can see,
the 2 foils and the glitter are in slightly larger pans [1.3g vs the 1.13g of the other shades], as this is the first time that these finishes have been included in a palette by the brand - I think that the glitter formula is new altogether [foil single shadows are here]. The foil formulas are amazing - they look like creams, but wear like powders [no creasing].

there's nothing to say, that I haven't said in past eyeshadow reviews for this brand; the shadow formulas are well-pigmented, creamy smooth, very easy to work with, and they wear well. I really enjoy this brand, because their product quality is very consistent - I'm always confident that I'll get good value for my money, when I buy from this brand.



The shade Reina is very glittery, which I think doesn't go well with the romantic/relaxed/everyday vibe of the palette. That's a personal thing though - the quality of it is nice (you can place the shade down both full-coverage and as sparse spray), I'm just not a glitter fan.

Apart from that, I have no big issues with any formulas - the purple shimmer Romantico can get overwhelmed when placed next to over intense shades, but that's a common issue with purple shades in general, not a problem with this brand's formula in particular.





Lolita Por Vida is quickly becoming my favourite Christmas palette from Kat Von D and will soon be my most-used; its not as visually exciting as the past Christmas releases we've had in the UK [MetalMatte, Saint + Sinner and Fetish], but it has the easiest to wear, most versatile and most flattering colour story. You can wear the shades any time of the year and there are plenty of combinations that are suitable for every occasion. Judging by how at least two batches have already sold out within days online, I think that this is an extremely popular palette and I strongly recommend buying this asap - heck, I strongly recommend going to a physical Debenhams store and picking up a palette today.

I've seen people complain that this palette isn't in line with Kat Von D herself or her brand, but I disagree; whilst the brand has included more colourful shades in their limited edition releases, the only permanent eyeshadow palette the brand has is an all-matte neutral affair - the brand is more focused on complexion products, lipstick and eyeliner. If you look at Kat's personal Instagram, outside of shoots and events, she wears softer eyeshadow [if any] most of the time.


The Lolita Por Vida eyeshadow palette costs £45 and is available at Debenhams - it is in and out on the site so keep checking back, but I've seen it in stores that stock KvD too, so that will be your best bet...




No comments:

Post a Comment