Monday 15 October 2018

Doesn't the name scream "wholesome Christmas fun"?! Fetish eyeshadow palette, by Kat Von D Beauty...

On your, mark, get set, GO BUY... the Kat Von D Christmas palette is out in Debenhams, and if the last couple of years worth of quick-to-sell-out UK releases are a indication [and they almost-certainly are], then you haven't got long to decide if you want it.

Allow me to talk you through the contents and provide photos, to help you make up your mind about indulging in Fetish, or if you'd rather sit this one out...









I'll start the review the same as I began my other KVD festive-release palette reviews; the Fetish palette is more expensive compared to her other eyeshadow palettes, but you are getting more shadows then is usually included in her permanent and other seasonal le palettes; twenty four shades, in pans that are the same size as the non-base pans in the permanent Shade + Light palette. Another KVD festive-release palette review standard is pointing out the impressive shade selection; the shades are a medley of finishes in four different finishes and in a range of neutral, slightly muted tones, vampies and bold shade ranges, so there is something for every comfort level, every season and every occasion. The stars of the Fetish palette are unquestionably the red shades - good quality vegan reds are very rare and in Fetish you get one matte and two metallic. The matte magenta and matte purple are also lovely, the matte Kelly green is stunning, the foils are dry but look molten, the lavender-tinged soft grey metallic is very unique and the black is BLACK.

I've at least played around with every shade and think that the pigmentation on everything is awesome, and the shadow formula is very soft and buttery - and I'm not someone who usually bothers with primer. To date I've worn around 3/4 of the palette for all-day looks and haven't had any issues with fading, creasing or transfer. When I dip my brush into the shadows they do have some kick-up to them, but they aren't patchy and apply with only a little [if any] fallout and blend really well, so I generally don't feel that fall-out is an issue when it comes to my reviews as long as the ease of use and performance isn't affected - just tapping excess off your brushes solves the problem. All highly pigmented shadows tend to be softer.



I've been a loyal customer of the brand ever since they first launched in America and this palette is the first time that I've ever had an issue with the performance of one of their eyeshadows; Sex looks lovely packed onto the lids and when applied with a liner brush, but can be patchy and clingy when I try to apply & blend it out as a crease/transition shade [see my horrible demo on the left - I had to mix it with another shade to try to save it]. It's not a problem for me since it takes seconds to grab one from elsewhere, but if you want every palette to be a one-and-done deal, then it's worth noting that there are no highlight-type shades for fair and light skintones, outside of a shimmery silver [Cuffs]. Another thing which doesn't bother me personally but may upset others are the shade names - the palette is called Fetish, so expect kinky shade names. Also; the foil shades Chastity and Submissive are very softly pressed into their pans, so store the palette flat to avoid them shattering [the powders do repress easily if disaster does occur].

The Fetish eyeshadow palette has some very strong pluses to it shade-wise and has options for every occasion/season, so I'm very happy to add it to my KVD palette collection as I'm sure that I'll continue to enjoy using it, though I don't find it as "wow" as her previous two years releases. The strengths are good enough to override my niggles, so I still recommend it to people - especially those looking for great vegan reds and purples. 

Kat Von D Beautyis exclusive to Debenhams in the UK, and the Fetish eyeshadow palette is £53.

No comments:

Post a Comment