Monday 2 September 2019

So f***ing grateful?! Thank U, Next edp, by Ariana Grande.

Optimistically outspoken. Playful yet cool. Introducing Thank U, Next Eau de Parfum by Ariana Grande. The ultimate fragrance for moving on and looking up.

I was quite surprised to see the newest Ariana Grande perfume when I was aimlessly wandering around Boots recently - Thank  U Next has just been released in America and usually we have to wait another several months after that for her perfumes to then get a UK release.

Her previous perfume release (Cloud) surprised me by how much I still enjoy it [I even wore it fora wedding], and seeing how similar the bottle set up for the new release is to it, filled me with enough confidence to buy a bottle immediately, as I took it as a sign that they're going to follow the trend they started with cloud 

There wasn't a tester for  Thank U Next out, so I just bought it without even trying it once beforehand.Will that turn out to be a stupid mistake,  or have I got lucky?



Thank U, Next (decent song, crappy perfume name) is a decent enough every day fragrance as in there's nothing in it that I find disagreeable scent-wise; except that I think of coconut as being summery, so it's odd that a perfume based around it is being released as we transition into autumn.

It's a very similar fragrance to Ari, overall; Thank You Next is more fruity then floral, as the coconut develops immediately and carries throughout the perfume's wear-time, with notes of watery pear & red berries which are also found in Ari alongside it. The background is composed of quiet powdered rose and annoymous underdeveloped floral notes that could really be anything - rose is another note also found in Ari, by the way. And yes - the base of musk-infused sugary vanilla is another Ari throwback. 

In more is-this-a-unreleased-edition-of-Ari? moments; this  fragrance is very linear on me, thanks to the strong coconut accords. The longevity is only so-so at best - nothing to write home about about at 4 to 5 hours. As far as I'm concerned it is the bottle for Thank U Next that is the most impressive and unique feature about the perfume.

Official scent notes; white pear, wild raspberry, creme de Coconut, pink rose petals, macaroon sugar & Velvet musk.


Thank U, Next isn't a 'bad' fragrance, but I'm disappointed by how similar it is to Ari; just layer a few drops of coconut oil with your Ari pèerfume and you have Thank U, Next. Cloud took the Ariana Grande fragrance line in a new,  more exciting direction and it's a shame that its already taken a u-turn back to the safer fruit & sugar "give me the fans money" generic route.


I think it should have been one of the pom-pom bottle releases, rather than being passed off as an all-new pillar perfume - and it should have had a late spring release  - I think most people think of coconut as being a summery scent note. Overall; I can best describe Thank U Next as smelling like when you pass through a Victoria's Secret beauty hall, as it smells like so many other things that have been widely available on the fragrance market. I'll happily use my bottle up, as there's no individual scent notes that I dislike in it, but I doubt I'd have bought it if there had been testers available.

As Thank U Next is just made up of the most popular scent notes, I think it would make a nice gift for a Ariana Grande fan.


I bought my bottle of Thank U, Next in a Boots store [it's also online] - 30ml is £25, a 5oml bottle is £33 and the 100ml bottle is £44.

The current free gift in Boots, when you buy a 50ml or 100ml bottle
.

Retailers like Superdrug, The Fragrance Store, The Perfume Shop and Amazon will all begin to stock it very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment