Thursday 7 November 2019

Sweet dreams or a (not so) beautiful Nightmare? [Reviewing Urban Dream Cover foundation, by Maybelline]

The big draw for me with this foundation is that here in the UK Dream Urban Cover is sold as being a lightweight full-coverage product specified for dry skin, so I was excited since all of the big foundation and concealer releases for the past few years have been suitable for every skin-type except those of us with dry skin. 

So will this foundation last though festive work stress, shopping for 'the perfect gift' for family & friends, and parties & other events?


I'm usually Porcelain in foundation shades (including Maybelline ones), but the Porcelain and the Pure Ivory shades are both too fair in the Dream Urban Cover line. The shade Warm Ivory [100] looked too dark for me at first swatch, but once applied to my skin, the runny formula makes it very easy to blend into skin, so it matches me very well. Could the high spf and anti-pollutant skincare ingredients be altering the shades?

At first I really didn't like the way this looked on my dry skin, but after exploring different primers and application methods (fingers, different brushes & various sponges) I've come to really like it; if you have dry skin I've found this foundation to look and wear best applied over a water-based primer or directly over bare & freshly moisturised skin, using a damp beauty blender. Applied in the way that works for me, I have no complaints with this foundation; it gives flawless coverage that lasts the full day, and I've not experienced any oxidation, transfer or cakiness. 



The finish to Dream Urban Cover is a lightweight satiny & glowy healthy-skin one, the coverage is a none mask-like medium and the wear time time is excellent, plus it is the first Maybelline foundation I've tried that hasn't oxidised on me. I'll apply it in the morning and it'll still be in place 8/9 hours later without being set, and about 12 hours after being set.




I don't go for heavier coverage all of the time, but I will be reaching for this when I know I'll have be busy and/or distracted and won't get time for touching up my makeup during the day or night (lets keep it real; this foundation is great for when I know I'll be too lazy to do any touch-ups) - this is a reliable option for good coverage and a long-wear time, that isn't heavy on my dry skin.


Dream Urban Cover foundation is £10.99.

Most drugstores (eg. Boots and Superdrug), sites and supermarkets that stock Maybelline products, sell Dream Urban Cover

2 comments: