Thursday 4 August 2022

Re-do the Review: Royal Revolution edp, by Katy Perry...

Royal Revolution was released in 2014 and developer Coty describes it as "an irresistible floral fragrance inspired by the beauty of blue diamond."


Royal Revolution was a fragrance that I reviewed when it was released back in 2014, after spending several weeks testing it in stores and obtaining those little tester vials to test it further at home. 

Fast forward to 2022 when I was gifted a bottle for Easter and have consequently decided that my older review doesn't really align with my present-day feelings on the fragrance & I'm not thrilled with my older review-writing skills.

Anyway; I've decided to delete the old review and rewrite it, seeing that you can still buy Royal Revolution today online & in various outlet stores at low prices...

I'd never tried a fragrance with any blackthorn in before and never knew what to look out for in my original review, but nowadays I know that the sloe fruit on the blackthorn shrub is used in sloe gin,  so now I'm aware of what to look for.
was excited that Royal Revolution does indeed contain a mild gin accord, and the accompanying fruit blend which is similar to the kind of blue raspberry lollipops everyone would spend most of the lunch hour queueing up for at the ice cream van that was allowed in the car park, back in my school days - sweet & slightly fresh, which comliments the pomegranite perfectly.

The floral notes are pretty standard for these types of fragrances; the jasmine and the orange blossom are the stars, with the freesia also being detectable. The other florals are much quieter and I can't be sure what they are; I think rose & magnolia are in the mix of soft vanilla, but I'm not sure.


There are no detectable leather accords on me, which is I still think is a let-down; I think that I'd enjoy Royal Revolution much more, if there was something traditionally masculine to clash with the sweetness of the fruits & vanilla.   As the floral notes fade away into a powdered blend, the musk infused sandalwood develops - pretty,  but a subtle transition which lends a linear feel to the fragrance. 

Official key scent notes: pomegranate, freesia. Jasmine, orange flower, sandalwood, blackthorn, vanilla orchid, leather and skin musk.


On me Royal Revolution is pretty similar to [Katy's first fragrance with Coty] Killer Queen overall,just not as dark & rich with the fruits; there's nothing here that I find unlikeable by any means, but there's not really anything about it that helps it stand apart on it's own merit - its definitely the warm warm weather companionto the more autumn/winter appropriate Killer Queen. 

Royal Revolution does make a great cheapie option, that I'm especially enjoying now that it's summer; it says "fun and fruity cocktails" to me, so I'm thanking that Royal Revolution is best for wearing on holiday, and days/nights out during warmer months. 


Hmm; I  think I'll be buying a bottle of Killer Queen once the weather begins to turn colder, because I'm interested to find out if my original option on that has changed over the years...

No comments:

Post a Comment