Saturday 13 October 2018

Ring The Alarm... The Vault has been opened again.


The Ring The Alarm palette is one of four palettes in the Morphe/Jaclyn Hill 'The Vault' collection, which is comprised of the eyeshadow shades that didn't make it into the original Jaclyn Hill palette.The Ring The Alarm palette contains the 10 warmest shades in the collection - I've watched a fair few of Jaclyn's videos now and saw that she does gravitate towards these kinds of shades, so this particular palette does feel very authentic. 

But never mind about that; we're here to find out if the quality inconsistency problems are real, and if so, are they ongoing...

Lolli (shimmering peach rosé), Rush (matte amber), On Camera (shimmering tropical gold), Boom (shimmering blushed bronze), Alert (matte deep ochre)

Bomb Ass (gleaming hibiscus pink), Siren (shimmering plum), Mugshot (matte toasted almond), Framed (matte deep plum), Secret (matte roasted chestnut).

This palette contains very pretty shades and the formulas have good pigmentation; my first impression was "nice", but the formulas just didn't wow me like the Armed & Gorgeous palette did. And my first impression carried through to applying them to my eyes, as both the matte and shimmer formulas are buttery smooth and very easy to blend when you prime your eyes - I had a bit of trouble with the shadows when I didn't prime my eyes: the mattes were trickier to blend out evenly, as the shadows are so soft that the pigments can layer evenly or even skip over bare skin [see outer v in the final demo]. Also the softness [of the mattes particularly] means that these shadows aren't the best for layering; the purples are especially bad for this. As you can see in my demo, the purple shades come out brown layered over a lighter shade from this palette, so you'll need to bring in shadows from elsewhere to use with this one - I'm not keen on any of the demos on this post and was going to take more photos of when I used the shades on different days in the future, but I'm honestly just bored of Ring The Alarm now and wanted to move on from it.



As I said earlier, both the appearance and formula for the shades are all great when used over primed eyes; however my biggest issue with the palette ended up being that the shade selections are a bit underwhelming. You can see the difference in shade variations between the following shades individually, but when used in looks together the purples, the oranges and the browns just muddy together. Also; similar shadows for all of the shades/finishes, except the two pinks, can be found in the original Jaclyn Hill palette and/or other The Vault palettes - in formulas that I prefer working with.



The quality of the shadows isn't my cup of tea, but I still think they are still pretty good for the price-point and the price-per-gram-of-product is great [net 16g], so I'm not outright mad at the palette. However I don't think the palette is worth the full RRP, as I think the colour selection is a let-down; individually I love the shades included, but when I began to use the palette I found that there actually isn't a lot of variety in looks I could do with the palette, as you can see with two of the demos - they look almost identical. Plus the fact is that Jacyln Hill has done these shades/finishes with Morphe before, so I think that she didn't need to do the same things over again. 
Personally; I'm only going to bother reaching for Ring The Alarm when I want to wear one of the pink shades [my eyes refuse to see peach], as [as mentioned above] the palette bores me with all of the overdone shades. Thankfully Ring The Alarm worked out as the £4 extra as I bought the complete Vault 4-piece, so I don't feel like my money has been wasted.



You can buy the Ring The Alarm palette for £15 from Morphe UK.
The complete 4-palette The Vault collection is £49.
[use code JACATTACK to save 10%]

No comments:

Post a Comment