Friday 3 August 2018

EOTD: The Jaclyn Hill Palette by Morphe...

I'm not happy with my poor visuals for my review of this palette [crap camera quality & unlabeled demos], so this is the first EOTD post I've made using it - I plan on featuring it in loads of future EOTD blog posts too, to make up for the not-so-great review [I'll explain after the jump]. Side note; isn't my palette filthy? All it does is sit in a drawer with my other eyeshadows when I'm not using it, so I'm not sure how it has gotten into such a state [I got my palette when Morphe first released it in the UK, so no wipe-clean packaging & shade names on the palette for me].

Back to the post's subject; I went to a garden party and before even starting to get ready I'd pulled out my Jaclyn Hill palette to use, as I haven't worn any shadows from it for several months and wanted a refresher on what I thought about it. I'd not been to a party in ages and knew that I wouldn't know most of the people there, so my mind was racing and jumbled as my social awkwardness kicked in; my thought process went something like this; garden party = BBQ = fire = burn = heat = spicy, so when in a panic and deviding my time between sraring at the clock, staring in my wardrobe and staring at the palette the following shades fitted the jumble in my head...



"What's up with the Morphe/Jaclyn Hill palette review (and most of the other October to December reviews for that matter)?"  I'd been ill for a month around the time of buying and testing the palette, so only took photos of a few of my demo looks and didn't write down which shades I used straight away. Then my life got all soap opera and I started to slip into a coma and was hospitalized (I "was a few hours from death" apparently - it was very dramatic), and by the time I was released from hospital and had adjusted to twice daily self-administered insulin injections and my suddenly decayed eyesight, I couldn't remember which shades I'd used. For a month or so I was too shaky to apply makeup [I left hospital early against the doctor's advice - I hate hospitals with a passion], so I couldn't manage to recreate the demos and I also couldn't go to any of the concerts I'd bought tickets for, the weekend away I'd been planning never happened, and the other Christmas-lead up nights out that were previously planned on went out of the window, so there weren't any creative looks or bold colour pops in the demos, since I had no need to wear anything fun.  
It turned out that I'd developed type I diabetes & had been going around without insulin for [their guess based on my unreadably high blood sugar levels] "a few months" - my previous knowledge of diabetes is TV crime shows where kidnapped diabetics would die 24 hours after missing an injection, so at least I learned something from it all...

Anyhow, back to the selected EOTD; my hand slipped when applying Beam as a highlight, so please excuse the messy transition [I went back over Beam with a bit more Creamsicle & it looked fine in real-life, but Beam reflects the camera flash too much here].

I had no problems with the application of any of the shades - I did use my finger to apply the shimmery shades, but I do that most of the time with shimmers/metallics/foils from every other brand. Everything wore well, other then a little bit of the lid shades transferring into my crease; I have heavily hooded eyes, so this is something that happens with every brand that I've tried.

* I'm wearing one coat of Lancome Hypnose mascara 

The quality of the shadows impresses me and you get a lot for your money, but I'm still not sure about ever replacing this palette at some point in the future, since it is so large; it's why I've not been using the palette much, as it's not very practical to hold and store away again. Plus I'm getting bored by all of the 'samey samey' warm neutrals in palettes today and that's what most of this palette is - I wish that she'd skipped out on a few of them and had released a slightly smaller palette. If she 'had' to release a 35-pan one, then [ideally for my tastes] there could have been a few more cooler tones in place of some of the warmer ones, and/or she could have expanded on the colour-pop-corner - some matte blues and purples would have been awesome. 

Since the quality of the shadows for this palette is mostly nice and the price is reasonable, I'm interested in maybe picking up some of the Morphe/Jaclyn Hill Vault palettes later this month, as the smaller sizes and the colour stories are appealing [there'll be four 10-pan palettes]. I'm not completely sure because I know there's going to be a huge demand like there was when I bought the Jaclyn Hill one; I was entered into a vertical queue for over two hours, so I had to keep my laptop glued to me, then when I got into the site [Beauty Bay] and tried to check out with a palette, the site kept crashing = it took almost four hours to buy a palette. So yeah, maybe I'll wait for a restock...


The Jaclyn Hill palette is £37 on Morphe UK.
[Beauty Bay no longer sell Morphe]

No comments:

Post a Comment