Monday 5 August 2019

Sweet dreams are made of... the Dream With A Vision eye palette, by Makeup Obsession.

"Do you dream in colour? The Makeup Obsession Dream With A Vision shadow palette will have you on cloud 9. 
Let your imagination run wild with this whimsical mix of pretty pigmented pastels and bold brights. 16 shades, including 9 smooth mattes and 7 buttery shimmers to create as many looks as you can dream up!"

Makeup Obsession's Dream With A Vision palette is the palette I bought because some of the shades seemed really close to ones in KvD Beauty's much lusted after Pastel Goth eyeshadow palette [the results of that are here], and now I've been using it numerous times since then and now confident enough for a complete review.

So; has Dream With A Vision been, err, a dream or a nightmare?










My experiences with the Dream With A Vision palette has been a mixed bag; the shimmers are great, and all but one of the pressed pigments [the shade names with a * are the pressed pigments] are good too, but there's been a bit of powdery mess and patchiness with some of the mattes. Realistically speaking, I had expected to find a palette full of white-based shades to contain consistent formulas, but I still couldn't help but be a bit disappointed by things, since my experience with my first Obsession shadow palette was so positive.


The formulas for the shimmer finishes are definitely the strong points in this palette in terms of pigment,  smoothness and wear, and the Ambition & Bubble pigments are also standouts for being great to work with. The shades I singled out for the middle sample-look photo [Sunshine, Skylight & Dreamy] stood out for being more powdery and thin, but as demonstrated, they do still work nicely - they just need a bit more work, which at this price-point, shouldn't really be a surprise. 


I wouldn't describe any of the shades as outright fails; for instance the lightest pastel shades [Daydream & Clarity] aren't very good placing/packing for lid or crease shades, but they are good to use for blending out the more Vivid pink and blue shades. The white matte is also sheer, but most of us would only use it as a base or browbone highlighter anyway, so that's not a negative for most people. As mentioned above, the shades I singled out for the middle sample-look photo [Sunshine, Skylight & Dreamy] need a bit more work to look good, but they do still look and wear well with that extra bit of effort. 


Dream With A Vision isn't as 'wow' in quality as I found the other Obsession eyeshadow palette I have, but with 14 out of 16 shades being either great or satisfactory and the other 2 being workable in some forms, I have no firm complaints about this palette and I think that if the shades appeal to you, then Dream With A Vision will make a pleasant addition to your collection. However there is something holding me back from saying that you have to go track this palette down; I don't really know why, as I've liked the looks I've done with it and the formulas wear well, but there is something indefinable stopping me from truly enjoying this.3 

To be completely honest, I do think that this will be one of those palettes that I'll let my nieces play dress up with and take home with them if they ask, because I just don't have any attachments to it. Or I might keep the shimmer shades and a couple of my favourite mattes, and remove & purge the more powdery shades - Obsession makeup a selection of 10-pan eyeshadow palettes, and I can swap the iffy shades with some more highly wearable neutrals.



Dream With A Vision costs £10 and is available on the Revolution Beauty site and in Boots [online and instore].


No comments:

Post a Comment