Sunday 11 August 2019

A closer look at... the Killawatt Foil Freestyle Highlighter Duo [7daywknd/Poolside] by Fenty Beauty...

 Fenty Beauty first released three duo-highlighter compacts with their 'Killawatt Foil' formula as part of their summer line last year, and they described the formulas as being "weightless, long-wear cream-powder hybrid highlighter duos with a hyper-metallic finish" ones, which double up as eyeshadows [I guess that this foiled highlight formula has proved very popular, as the 'limited edition' compacts are still available and there are more shades available with the 'Killawatt Foil' formula].


I got two out of the three [here and here] of the original duos last year when the brand was exclusive to Harvey Nichols, and I wasn't impressed by the foiled formula. But now that the Fenty brand has landed in Boots I decided to put my Beauty Club points to use and round out my collection by picking up the duo that was missing from the collection for free - everyone else seems to love the Killawatt Foil formula, so I was curious to find out if maybe the formula has been tweaked...





As you can see, both highlight shades left a cast; a big disappointment, since I love the way the shades look on my cheek-bones and how they catch the light. The formula wears well on my skin, though some flecks of microglitter always seem to just sit on skin, rather than being buffed into the formula.




The formula for this duo was a bit more crumbly compared to the other two when used as eyeshadows, but they do wear well once applied - just apply your eye makeup, before your base.





Kinda my own fault for being underwhelmed, as I should have learnt my lesson last year; I just swatched the shades on the back of my hand, instead of asking an assistant to apply them to my face [it was busy & I wasn't feeling great] when I was in the store. I first thought that this duo was going to be a real winner for me, based on the back-of-hand swatches and the feel of the formula on my skin. It looked great when I applied them to my face too, until I noticed the cast the shades left when I wore them as highlighters = they're too dark for me.



My complaint is the same as it is for the other Killawatt Foil duos I have; the way the brand describes them leaves you to think of them as being universal shades, when they actually aren't is extremely frustrating and misleading. I recommend sticking to the regular Killawatt formula, rather then the Killawatt Foil one.



The Killawatt Foil duos are £28 and sold in Boots [site & selected stores] - Harvey Nichols used to sell the duo in this shade combo but doesn't any more, so I'm not sure if these compacts are indeed still limed edition?

No comments:

Post a Comment