Friday 4 October 2024

Does it shine like a star? [reviewing Far Away Shine edp, by Avon]

 FREE YOUR EXTRAORDINARY

Light up the world with exotic Ispahan roses to make your inner sparkle your outer shine.

This oriental and gourmand scent is expertly crafted around Ispahan rose, an ancient and exotic Persian bloom used in beauty for over 2,000 years and celebrated by women as a symbol of inner illumination.

I hadn't known that a new Far Away flanker was coming until I saw it being advertised in a catalogue, with it only being announced on various fragrance websites afterwards. 

Anyway; I ordered it as soon as I saw it being advertised since there hasn't been a single Far Away flanker that I've outright disliked, so it seemed like a sure thing that I'd enjoy this one too. I've now had it for a couple of weeks and have been wearing it every day for that  time, so I now will ready to share my thoughts on it. 



I love lychee & raspberry notes and Far Away Shine has plenty of them, slightly spiced with pink pepper. This sweet blend develops immediately and it lasts throughout the weartime, so remember that, as how much you enjoy the top notes greatly impacts how much you'll enjoy the entire fragrance. 

The floral heart is the least 'classic Far Away' of everything I've owned from the line; I can separate a drop of jasmine with the rose, but I don't get any orange blossom, which I've come to expect in a Far Away flanker's floral heart. It's the gardenia that is the most prominent floral note to me, and I love that there is a touch of violet in the background too.

Sandalwood isn't listed as being included in Far Away Shine, but I pick up on some - or a very reminiscent blend of gentle woody notes. The comforting base of musky sandalwood and vanilla is a classic. The tonka & a pinch of patchouli gives it a touch more power, but I do wish the blend packed a bit more of a punch. 

Officially listed scent notes: pink pepper, lychee, raspberry, rose, Violet, gardenia, musk, tonka bean and vanilla. 


The longevity & projection aren't up to the impressive levels that are usual for the Far Away fragrance line; the 6 hours average weartime & the moderate projection are great for a perfume at this price, however we've been spoilt by the fantastic longevity in most of the Far Away line so I just was hoping for more here. It is still very good for what it isr, so I can't really complain. 

do think that Far Away Shine should have received a spring or summer release as the fruity twist & mild florals gives the fragrance a light & sunny vibe - I know that it technically WAS released during the summer, but really late in the summer and it don't already turned cool & glumy over here. I find Beyond [another Far Away flanker] to be a fantastic layering option for the autumn & winter months, as the bolder florals and slightly stronger base balance out the sunnier vibes.

Overall I do like Far Away Shine and will continue to wear and enjoy it, however I don't think that it has that special x factor in it that makes me love it, so a future repurchase is very unlikely. Maybe come the spring & summer months my tune will change - I'll update and repost the review if my opinion changes dramatically. 


The new retro bottle shape to the Far Away line is amazing imo - apparently the redesign was due to the new shape being easier to recycle.


Far Away Shine can be bought from the Avon website, Avon catalogues and some Superdrug stores also stock it. 

The 50ml bottle is £16, the 125ml scented lotion tube is £4, and the 10ml perfume pen is £7.

No comments:

Post a Comment