Thursday 20 February 2020

From BH to ABH... [reviewing the Carli Bybel eyeshadow palette, by Anastasia Beverly Hills]

  • "Anastasia Beverly Hills Carli Bybel Eyeshadow and Pressed Pigment Palette is a limited-edition palette created in collaboration with iconic beauty influencer Carli Bybel. Featuring 14 of Carli’s can’t-live-without shades, this versatile collection lets you achieve everything from your go-to daytime makeup looks to shimmery nighttime smoky eyes. Get Carli’s favorites mattes and metallics in both warm and cool tones all in one beautiful palette"


The Carli Bybel palette came out shortly after the Jackie Aina palette [and the trilogy of large Norvina Pro ones], so I think of it as the Christmas 2019 palette. Like with the Jackie Aina palette, I was underwhelmed by the appearance of the Carli Bybel palette, as the shades are ones that have already been in past palettes from the brand. 

However [again, like the Jackie Aina palette] I unexpectedly received the Carli Bybel for Christmas, so have spent the last few months trying every shade in the palette. How has it worked out?



  • Boli (Metallic champagne), Bybel (Matte reddish-purple brown), Mandala (Metallic/Duo chrome light purple), Libra (Metallic goldish), Jode (Shimmer teal), OA (Duo chrome blue + purple), Boie (Matte ash brown)


  • Bear (Matte beige), Moo (Metallic light gold), Chai (Matte light brown), Cindy (Matte bright orange pressed pigment), Stev (Matte dark red), Aura (Metallic red pink shimmer), My Angels (Metallic gold)


I've not had any issues with 13 of the 14 shades [see third paragraph for more info on that], and all of the matte shades are much easier to work with in comparison to the ones in the brand's previous release [the Jackie Aina palette]. The matters apply smoothly & blend easily, and the shimmer finishes all have that molten sheen that I expect from this brand. Everything wears well throughout a 9 - 12 hour day

The shade Cindy is classed as a pressed pigment, not as an eyeshadow; meaningless to most people, but those with sensitive skin may experience some staining. 


The shade OA is flaky; it looks gorgeous when applied satisfactory, but smoothing it takes a bit more effort compared to the other shades. 

I don't think the matte shades will work well on darker skintones, which is a issue that could have been improved by swapping a light shade for another deeper one - there's only 1 deeper shade, which really limits the versatility. I guess that's why this palette was released so soon after the Jackie Aina one - to make sure that everyone was catered for.


I enjoy the product quality and the cool-vs-warm colour story is less usual, but if this palette hadn't been a gift, then I wouldn't have bothered to pick it up, as ABH has already done the shades on offer before. I ultimately think that this palette is like excitedly waiting for a new album from your favourite singer, but getting a Greatest Hits album instead, after a hyped filled wait = it's not a 'bad' product, but it's nothing to get excited about. I'm happy enough with the results I get when using this, but I don't get wildly inspired when I use it either. This palette is easily skippable.

ABH used to be my favourite brand when it came to eyeshadow palettes, but I've not bought one in a while as the collaboration palettes just reuse extremely similar shades to previous releases, and the Norvina side range is too fast-fashion for my tastes.


The Carli Bybel palette costs £46 and is available on ABH UK, Beauty Bay and Cult Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment