Sunday 16 February 2020

ABH show Morphe how to do a Jac Attack?? [Reviewing the Jackie Aina eyeshadow palette, by Anastasia Beverly Hills]

"Anastasia Beverly Hills Jackie Aina Palette is a limited-edition palette created in collaboration with influencer Jackie Aina, featuring Jackie’s must-have eyeshadow and pressed pigment shades for straight-up gorgeous looks. Create everything from neutral matte eyeshadow looks to dazzling metallic makeup looks"

For the autumn 2019 season, popular YouTube influencer Jackie Aina released a eyeshadow palette with an old favourite brand of mine,  Anastasia Beverly Hills. I actually never bought this palette; it's a appealing colour story, but the shades remind me of ones that have already appeared in past palettes, which dampened my interest in it.  


But now, unexpectedly, it's been in my hands for a few months [it was a Christmas present], so we're going to find out if I judged the palette too harshly, based on nothing but photos...



Soleil (Metallic soft peach with a gold shift), Supreme (Matte rosy pink pressed pigment), Pinker (Matte mid-tone cool plum pressed pigment), Big wig (Matte rich purple pressed pigment), Dwollahs (Metallic golden olive), Credit (Deep matte plum brown), Lituation (Metallic deep taupe with a violet shift)



Zamn (Sparkling rose gold), Wiggalese (Metallic cranberry red),Shookington (Metallic violet with a blue shift), Trust issues (Sparkling white gold), Edges (Matte deep peach), Sponsored (Metallic chocolate with a teal shift), Ginger (Matte caramel brown). 



You also get a double-ended brush in the palette, with is surprisingly high quality and is something that I regularly use. 


The shadows all have great pigmentation and there's no heavy shimmer/glitter that doesn't adhere to skin and goes everywhere, plus everything is crease & fade resistant. I've not had any issues with shades skipping or oxidizing. I keep saying that ABH's shadows are soft, which they are, but the formulas are more Modern Renaissance and Sultry soft and buildable, rather than Subculture and Prism mega pigmentation in one swipe. 

One thing to bear in mind is that the shades Supreme, Pinker and Big Wig are classed as pressed pigments not as eyeshadow, due to the dyes used in the formulas not being approved by the FDA for use on the eyes - this doesn't mean anything for most people, but there may be irritation and/or staining for those with very sensitive skin. 


The shades Edges and Ginger are similar enough in tone & depth, that I question why both shades are in the palette - a different lighter shade would have added much more versatility to the palette.

If you have light or fair skin then there aren't any base or blending-type shades, making it a bit trickier to get neater transitions and as the shades all come off very richly, they need blending to the point of becoming patchy on fair skin [as you can see in the demo looks]. There's no rule saying that every eyeshadow palette has to be a one-and-done deal, that can go from desk to party, I'm just saying that at this price point, yes, I personally prefer palettes to have everything I need for a complete look. I think that my problems come from the fact that the shades look softer in the pan compared to how they apply on the skin, and achieving clean finishes to looks is harder compared to my other ABH palettes - this is dependent on your skintone, though. 



If you have medium or darker skintones, then I think that you'll really enjoy the shades here; they range from everyday work-appropriate, free-time and special occasion pops. I also think that you wouldn't have the blending problems people with lighter skintones can have. If you have light or fair skintones, then this is a decent palette, but isn't a must-have in my opinion; the shimmers are all gorgeous [special shout out to the amazing purple & red shades], but the matte selections aren't my favourite and you'll probably need to pull in shadows from other palettes to make the most of them. 

I want to take a break from this palette, before trying again with new EOTD posts; all of the demo pics I looked through were awful & patchy, as the mattes are a pain to blend out on fair skin.  I'm hopeful that taking a bit of a breather will renew my interest & desire to get it all looking good...


The Jackie Aina palette costs £46 and is available on Feel UniqueBeauty Bay and ABH UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment