Monday 22 October 2018

And now it's time for another Revolution collaboration review, with The Emily Edit; The Needs face & eye palette...

I'm back with another product from Revolution's ever-growing collaboration line and I've gone with another multi-purpose face palette since I really enjoy the other ones I have. For the first time in the line I actually am very familiar with the 'influencer' that the brand has chosen to work with; it's EmilyNoel83, who I've been watching on YouTube for almost 11 years. 

Revolution had been teasing this collaboration over social media a little while before it launched and I knew from the first close-up face shot they showed that it was Emily (slightly stalkerish of me), so I was ready to buy her palettes on launch day. I've wanted to wait a little while for this review to make sure that the 'wow' factor of having the name of someone that I recognize and respect on the palette had worn off, and that I'm reviewing the product purely on how well it performs.  With that being said, lets now jump into the good stuff...


For The Needs palette Emily took inspiration from having to edit the "fluff" out of her pieces in her past job (she was a TV reporter & news anchor), by selecting her favourite 'must-have' shades from her favourite Revolution face palettes that have been featured on her YouTube channel over the past few years before she worked with the brand.

Courage- medium brown matte bronzer/contour and Kindness - translucent powder (originally from the Ultra Contour palette)

Gratitude - cream pearlesent highlight (originally from the Goddess blush palette), Joy - peachy pink matte blush (originally from the Hot Spice blush palette)


Then we also get six eyeshadows

Honesty - satin coral, Passion - blackened plum, with red shimmer (originally from the New-trals Vs Neutrals eyeshadow palette)

Love - matte cream, Peace - matte muted peach, Faith - matte terracotta, Hope - matte fudge brown (originally from the Light and Shade eyeshadow palette).

I've started collecting Revolution collaboration palettes, as [in my opinion] the formula qualities of the eyeshadows in particular seem to be a bit higher in them, in comparison to their regular lines that I've tried and this is no exception; in every other Revolution palette that I've reviewed so far there is at least one shade that I don't care for, but every shade here is of a great quality for this price-point; good pigmentation, they all apply well and wear very well - next to no fallout [Passion is the only offender & that wasn't bad] and no creasing or fading with nine+ hours wear. The shades Honesty and Passion are gorgeous; a soft pinky peach for everyday 'pretty' looks and a vampy shade that's less harsh compared to a full-on black.
Question for myself; do I need to pick up the Neutrals vs New-trals palette now, since these two shades are gorgeous and perform very well? 



The other four shades are the easy-to-find kind of staple crease/transition-type shades that pop up in most palettes - if I want to use Honesty or Passion I'll use them too, of if I'm itching to wear a shadow from an all-shimmery or all-brights palette, then this palette is great to have on hand to balance the look out. That's the whole point for these more basic eyeshadow shade selections being in an every-day kind of palette - to complement your other ones and make them go further.


I love Revolution's highlighters, so it'll won't surprise anyone that I enjoy Gratitude and love how it wears - it doesn't rain glitter/shimmer and it lasts all day. I'll be honest and say that I do prefer the shades Angelface and Limited Edition in my Highlight To The Moon face palette, though I have worn Gratitude a fair few times too as it is such a flattering shade and finish.



Joy blush and Courage bronzer/contour are neutral tones, so both products will adapt to most skintones. Courage does verge on being too dark so I prefer the contours in the Highlight To The Moon face palette, but as The Needs is usually already in front of me when I fancy attempting to contour (I'm getting into contouring more now - having insulin twice a day has made me puff up), so I'll still use it most of the time anyway - a large &dense fan-type brush is less harsh than a contour brush. The powder Kindness is great for my dry skin; it sets my makeup nicely, but doesn't totally mattify my skin completely, so there is still some life to it.




My only niggle is with the palette itself, as I'm really enjoying the actual products; I wish that the powder had a wider pan and hadn't been placed above the blackened plum and coral eyeshadows - I have picked up some shadow along with the powder when using a large powder brush a few times and have smeared it over my cheeks, so I mostly use it to set my concealer, rather then to set my foundation like I would like to do. Also; this is the kind of eye/face palette that begs for a sleek and compact case, so it can be tossed into a work/gym bag, weekend bag or suitcase for on-the-go looks and/or touch ups. I'd get to make this palette go further, if it had been smaller in design - I'm thinking something like the Beauty Legacy eye/face palette, which is still my top chuck-in-a-bag-and-go choice.

Everyone has their own idea of what is affordable, but I'd happily pay £10 for a good single blush, bronzer, highlight or powder, so getting all four at that price is fantastic value for me - and then we get six great quality eyeshadows on top of that. I reach for this palette every other time I apply makeup for the powder [I've hit pan on the two lighter powders in my Highlight To The Moon face palette] and the flattering blush shade, then as the palette is open in front of me, I often go for the contour and/or highlighter, as well as set my brow pencil with the Hope eyeshadow. If you don't own the original palettes that Emily selected the products from, then I think The Needs makes a great day-to-day "I need to get pretty & polished quickly" all-in-one palette, that's perfect for when we're in a rush, distracted, or just feeling a bit lazy.

You can buy The Needs for £10 from the Revolution site and the Superdrug site. It is also stocked in larger Superdrug stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment