Wednesday 19 September 2018

Christmas is coming... The Chocolate Heart eye and face gift set (by I ❤ Revolution).

A closer look at... CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!! 


I was all giddy when I saw that Superdrug's Christmas gift range has gone live on their site, so I just had to go ahead and buy a little something. I picked out one of Revolution's sets because I have come to really enjoy their products recently and the brand falls under the 30% off perk, if you have a Staff Family & Friends discount card. 

I really enjoy most of the Revolution highlighters that  I've tried, but the set of five heart-shaped ones was out of stock when I had some spare money to spend, so I turned to the brand's other outstanding product - their eyeshadow palettes.


The Red Velvet eyeshadow palette is the brand's nod to Jeffree Star's Blood Sugar palette, but I'm not sure which palette the Peanut Butter Cup palette is meant to be a 'homage' to, if anything - I was thinking that it was Revolution's take on Jeffree Star's Thirsty palette at first, but that has a couple of blue shades in it so it's not that. Too Faced's Clover palette is also a bit similar, but that has blue and purple shades in, so that's not it either.


0




The formulas in both palettes are nice; they don't swatch that well, but they look good on  the eyes. The powders kick-up quite a bit, but there is very little fall-out, the shades blend well, they don't crease when I use a primer [very little without one] and I've not noticed any colour fade so far. Both palettes have a faint & sweet scent, but it's artificial and I can't pinpoint it down - but it is light and doesn't bother me.







The Praline face palette has a mix of a traditional powder bronze/contour and shimmer highlight and baked blush, highlight and bronzer shades. The contour and shimmer highlighter verge towards being too dark for fair skintones, but I can just about get away with them. I don't like the baked bronzer [Praline] at all; I had to cover it with powder as soon as I'd taken the photo of it on my cheek, as it is too rich for my skintone and made me look ill. The blusher hardly shows up on me, so I don't see it working on deeper/richer skintones; I'm personally prone to being too heavy-handed with blush, so do prefer a barely there shade to save me from myself, but think I'll realistically only bother with it when I open the palette to use one of the highlighters, as I already own similar shades.





.


The Chocolate Heart compact says highlighter on the front and bronzer on the back, so I guess it can go either way depending on your skintone. On me it has very little glow, but not much pigmentation either. I'm very fair in the face, so the gentle tint of color makes this a better bronzing shade compared to the 'Praline' ones, but I still wish that the brand hadn't put this in the set, as (A) they put in a face palette and (B) the quality is lacking - a couple of lip products or a mini brush set would have been better options to have put in the set, in place of this.





The box has a sticker on it saying that the value of the products totals £33, so you'll have to decide if paying over the RRP is worth it for fancier-then-usual packaging and new colour stories in the brand's Chocolate palette series; lets be honest and admit that the face products are very hit or miss, so it is the eyeshadow that everyone wants. Hopefully next year they won't only put the new palettes in sets only, and sell them individually.

The Chocolate Heart eye and face giftset can be bought on the Superdrug site for £40 - I assume it'll also be in Superdrug stores when their Christmas gift shop section is open.

No comments:

Post a Comment