Sunday 24 September 2017

Is it really worth taking this home again, or should we ditch it at the hotel? The Take Me On Vacation eyeshadow palette by Kylie Cosmetics...

Take Me On Vacation is a limited edition eyeshadow palette from the brand's summer 2017 collection, that is [as of February 2019] still in stock on the Kylie Cosmetics site, so I assume that it is now a permanent product. Or was extremely unpopular...
 Since the quality of the last limited edition eyeshadow palette I've bought from Kylie Cosmetics was pretty decent, I decided to pick this up during a recent flash sale as the colour selection for I Want It All was a let-down and I felt the larger shade range here would complement my previous purchase. So feel free to read on and see if that was a good decision



First Class (matte pastel lavender), Summer '17 (metallic peachy gold), Pina Colada (matte true yellow), Starfish (matte soft papaya), Island Girl (metallic bright teal),  Sail Away (metallic deep gold), Aloha (matte pastel peach), Palm Tree (matte deep brown)


Sea Breeze (matte soft sand), Coconut (matte warm taupe), Paradise (metallic copper gold), On The Rocks (matte grey lavender), Sunset (satin red copper), Spray Tan (matte midtown brown), Luxury (metallic ruby bronze), Surf Board (metallic sea green)

Like with my past purchase from this brand [the I Want It All palette], I think that the shadows here are okay in that they are pretty & complementary. This palette can be used for a variety of complete eye looks going from a nude look, to conservative office looks, all the way to night/party time louder & experimental looks, so this palette is very wearable .- a major plus for something at this price-point. 

The mattes are more powdery compared to the ones in the I Want It All palette so there is more fallout, but even so I find the blendability to be greatly improved over the earlier shadows from the brand that I own [Christmas 2016 and Valentines 2017]. I haven't used a primer to see how well the shadows hold up, and whilst the colours do fade, there hasn't been much creasing with 9+ hours of wear. 



I have only used the brush a few times [including when I did the failed demo look on the left] - the end with the shorter bristles did the job of packing shadow on the lid okay, but the longer bristles on the other end are too floppy and made applying the shadow with neatness difficult [see messy crease in my pic]. I prefer the feel, weight and ease-of-use of my Real Techniques brushes by far, and am highly unlikely to try any brushes that Kylie Cosmetics may release in the future.

On to the downsides for Take Me On Vacation; my main issue is with the pigmentation on the shades; it's a big step down from the brand's I Want It All palette, The Purple Palette and the Royal Peach palette. I found that none of the deeper shades [Spray Tan, Palm Tree, Luxury & Surfboard are the worst] apply as dark and/or as vibrant as they appear in the pan - though I  found the light shade First Class is the worst pigmentation-wise, as it applies as a white. The poor pigmentation combined with the colour fade that I mentioned above, means that a lot of the shades end up muddying together over the day - very frustrating when I spend ages applying the poorly pigmented shadows satisfactorily.

The shade Pina Colada is the only shadow in the palette that I outright dislike to the point of not using it any more, as it is sheer, very dry and crumbly - I've only used the shade twice and there is a considerable dip in the pan, as it is so powdery that it just flakes into pieces. 

Also; the shade names aren't printed on the palette. This niggle doesn't effect the actual products in any way so I don't mean to make a big deal about it, but it's something that irritates me because I like to know exactly what I'm wearing. It's very short sighted for a social media brand to to make such a minor fix for presentation. 


I'm going to advise giving the palette a miss, as the price you see on screen is already too much for the iffy product quality, and then there is shipping, and tax & customs to be added = we're going past the 'medium to low-high' palette price point, and are talking a "let's go to Selfridge's and hit the makeup counters" higher level price range (in the UK anyway), which is a level of quality that this palette just not does not have.

You can buy Take Me On Vacation from the Kylie Cosmetics site for $54.
International shipping is $15 or free when you spend over $60.
.
The parcel will be delivered to your nearest postal delivery office [or regular post office if you live in a remote area] and you'll need to pay import taxes before they give you the parcel - my parcel contents were $98 [xmas pressies] and I paid £25.


No comments:

Post a Comment