Sunday 17 May 2020

I tried looking to see which planet is currently in retrograde, but couldn't grasp what I was reading 🤷‍♀️ [reviewing the Mercury Retrograde eyeshadow palette, by Huda Beauty]

"I really wanted the colors and the textures of this palette to feel as out of this world and as ethereal as the inspiration for the palette. Crystal AB actually stands for Aurora Borealis, which is another name for the insane Northern Lights display and the reason the crystals were given their name, as the prismatic colors of Crystal AB look just like the famous colorful night sky display. Everything from the glistening pinks and purples and unique teal colors that Crystal AB and the Aurora Borealis are synonymous with are reflected in our multi-dimensional palette" - Huda.



The Mercury Retrograde eyeshadow palette was released in the run-up to Christmas 2019, so I've had plenty of time to familiarize myself - with every shade, in situations ranging from big nights out, everyday work looks, casual free time to clapping for carers...

I enjoy all of her other large palettes, so couldn't wait to see if this one would join them in my most-used-palettes drawer in my dresser, my nice-but-not-used-regularly-enough-to-be-kept-close-at-hand shelf, or my meh-probably-going-to-pass-it-along-to-someone-else plastic tub...

Ready to find out?







The mattes  [Utopia, Off Balance, Vortex, Hot Mess, Libra, Crash, Karma, Momentum, Haze] are what I've come to expect from the brand;buttery smooth, mega easy to blend, great to mix together to create new shades and they don't have as mush fallout compared to the majority of brands in the same quality/price range.

The Metallic [Cosmic, Galaxy, Supernova, Ultraviolet, Mercury, Frazzled] and Multi-reflective shadow [Supermoon, Gold Glitch] shades feel & look molten, and they behave exactly like the mattes do formula-wise. The the shimmer particles in the 'multi reflective' shades is a bit more scattered in appearance compared to the regular metallic shades hence the different formula name. I'm not fond of the glitter formulas that have been featured in the brand's other palettes, so I wasn't expecting much when I learnt that one of the shades here is called a Glitter powder [Nebula], however it looks & behaves the same as the multi-reflective shadows on me, so this is the first glitter from the brand that I enjoy.

All of the shadows are non-fading, and I haven't experienced any creasing - I apply them in the morning and they'll still look good in the evening, when I remove it. 





The two deep matte shades are lovely, but I would have liked one more for added variety; I can, (and do) mix the matte shades together and can always just pull some in from elsewhere, but yeah, it would have been very convenient to have had more options right there directly in front of me.

Whilst it's not a dealbreaker for me, I still thought I'd mention that while there is less than usual, there is still a slight amount of kick-up and fallout from the matte shadows. Finding kickup and fallout in shadows doesn't really bother me as I do my eyes before my base - in my experience, all decently pigmented & softer shadows have some kickup and fallout, so I do think that all good-quality shadows should do this a bit - it's totally normal. 





Huda Beauty is now my favourite brand for eyeshadow palettes, as the quality has been consistently great - I have, or had, had 11(?) of the small palettes and all of the large palettes (I've just realized that I never reviewed Desert Dusk, so I've added it to my mental list), and excepting the Neon Green palette, I've enjoyed them all. I'm confident that when I buy something from the brand, I'm going to enjoy it.

Not only is the quality great, but Huda always puts together fantastic colour stories for her eyeshadow palettes, especially the larger ones [some of the smaller ones are more trend orientated] - fashionable shades, but not blink-and-you'll-miss-it trends - a with versatile mix of neutral, precious metal, pastel and colourful shades, that appeal in every season. This is another winner from the brand, that can take you from desk to party, all year round.


The Mercury Retrograde palette costs £58, and is sold through Feel UniqueBoots (online only)Cult Beauty and Selfridges.

No comments:

Post a Comment