Friday 19 July 2019

Lean greens? The Neon Green Obsessions eyeshadow palette, by Huda Beauty...

There are three palettes in Huda's new LE (?) Neon Obsessions 9-pan eyeshadow palette collection; Pink, Orange and Green. I have all three palettes [I was just going to get the Orange & maybe the Pink too, but then the completest in me took the wheel], so it just made sense to review them. 


I'm going to start my palette reviews with the one I wasn't going to buy, so we can find out if I made a mistake in giving in and buying it, or if my mistake was in misjudging it in the first place...







I was hesitant about getting this palette because there are only three matte shades in this palette, so it really limits what I can do with this palette alone, since I don't like using non-matte shades anywhere other than the lids on my heavily hooded eyes. And it turns out that out of those three mattes, only one is close to being inside the 'neon' green category; one is chartreuse, one is a bright lime and the final matte is a pinky coral (I have found that layering the lime over the chartreuse, results in a cool swampy green). Light and bright greens are tricky to make as they have lots of white pigments in them and the result is that the green mattes, the chartreuse shade in particular, are sheer. The pinky coral shade is awesome - probably my favourite shade in the palette. 


The six shimmery shades are a bit of a let-down; the frosty yellow is hard-pressed and the opal/green & blue/brown duochrome shades are crumbly. You also get a pinky peach frost, a copper-with-rose-flecks pressed pearl and a cool pink-with-gold-flecks pressed pearl. You'll need to use your fingers for application [finger application is recommended for all of Huda's shimmers, but with this palette it's mandatory - your body heat smooths the crumbly textures].




I think that the Neon Green palette is the one in the 'Neon Obsessions' collection that isn't worth rushing out to buy, and if you're not keen on the idea of doing extra work on applying shadows, then I'd just recommend skipping this one altogether. 
I don't totally regret buying this palette, as when everything is applied nicely, I am really happy with Neon Green. However it takes more work to get to where I'm happy with the looks, compared to Neon Pink and Neon Orange. I usually love the brand's frosts and duo-chromes, but some of the ones here are just underwhelming. Added to that is the two thin mattes... and for a 'Neon Green' palette, there isn't enough brightness or green to be found in here for a fun summertime pop - though I suppose that if you want a more easy-to-wear &more seasonless option, then this colour story might appeal to you more.

 The Neon Green eyeshadow palette is £27 and is available through Feel UniqueCult Beauty and Selfridges [they've wrongly called it the 'Neon Yellow pigment palette'].

No comments:

Post a Comment