Thursday 25 April 2019

Shake your tail-feathers at the Tropical Carnival, with Revolution x Tammi...

Revolution and British mua turned YouTuber Tammi Clarke recently dropped their second collaboration product, the Tropical Carnival shadow palette [note it doesn't say eyeshadow palette], which is the product we'll be getting more in-depth with today... 


The Tropical Carnival palette is a great companion piece to Tammi's & Revolution's first one [Tropical Paradise]; a fun and poppy variety of shimmers and mattes, that will jazz up your look as we head into sunnier months, and compliment the not-so-vivid shades in Tammi's first palette.

But just how well will this palette work alone?



Calypso (chartreuse yellow shimmer), Soca (lilac shimmer), Notting Hill (bronze shimmer), Spiced Rum (burnt orange shimmer), Greenz (emerald shimmer), Shortknee (mermaid blue shimmer)


Destinee’ (violet shimmer), J’Ouvert (buttercup yellow matte), Spice Island (orange matte), Trini (cherry-red matte), Pink Panther (watermelon pink matte), Mas (magenta matte)



Girlies (mauve matte), Bacchanal (ocean blue matte), Navy (navy blue matte), Definitely (jade green matte), Saint Catherine (green matte), Jab Jab (dark grey matte)

10 out of the 18 shades are classed as pigments and not eye safe [see my photo of the shade name chart on the back of the palette - the shades with a * are the pressed pigments] because of the stronger dyes being used - basically if you have very sensitive skin, the pigments may cause some staining (brands like KvD, Urban Decay, ABH, Morphe, Jeffree Star Cosmetics & Lunar Beauty also use pigments sometimes - it's not a new, wild thing, is what I'm trying to say. People just pay more attention to ingredients nowadays). 

FYI: the outer box doesn't say that the shades have vegan formulas, but the back of the palette does indeed have the PETA 'cruelty free & vegan' stamp of approval. I've not had any major issues with the formulas - the black matte is more charcoal and is patchy and I doubt I'll use it again now that my 'testing period' is over, plus the red matte is thin and can skip [my sample look with the red matte was actually my third attempt & I had to use more of the orange then I wanted, to help fill in bald patches], but that is my only outright criticism with this palette. 

I didn't think that Tropical Carnival would be something that I'd use as often as Tropical Paradise, as I'm not as into colour & experimental looks as much as I used to be, so this was just an impulsive "gotta complete the set" purchase for me. However I've quickly found that it is actually very easy to use just two or three shades for a quick-but-wow look - and the shades can look intimidating in the palette, but  they're very wearable when used for a monochromatic look or a halo eye. I've used this palette a lot more than Tropical Paradise and think I'll continue to do so.

Like with the Tropical Paradise palette, I'm not a fan of a beauty Youtuber not having shade names underneath the pans in a palette that they release [it can be harder to follow a tutorial along], but this time she explains explains the reasoning behind the decision to not do this again, which I can respect - she and Revolution's design team preferred the visual impact when the pans weren't more spread apart. Tammi knew that the majority of the people who bought her first palette didn't like the shade names only being printed on the shadow shield, so for the Tropical Carnival's palette the layout and shade names are printed on the back of the palette, in addition to the shadow shield. 



I feel that the Tropical Carnival eyeshadow palette is more Tammi's vibe, in comparison to the Tropical Paradise - don't get me wrong, as I enjoy the colour story in Tropical Paradise, but I do think that Tammi was reining herself in and trying to please everyone with the shade selection [based on her own makeup & her excitement/pleasure when using colourful palettes in her videos].

The shadows in the Tropical Carnival palette are a higher quality in comparison to the ones in Tropical Paradise, and each pan holds 1g of shadow, which is multiplied by 18 - actually a large amount of product for a 'drugstore' price point, so despite my niggles I do think that this is a great buy - but its not necessarily a must-have. This is because Revolution have released over half a dozen bright eyeshadow palettes within the last few months alone [and that's not counting the numerous recent releases from I ❤️ Revolution and Revolution Pro], so if you're into collecting the brand's palettes then you'll already own very similar shades to the ones found in Tropical Carnival. I just pay attention to Revolution's collaboration line, so for me this a great palette to add to my collection.

The Tropical Carnival palette costs £10 and can be bought on the Revolution site and the Superdrug site [I've not seen it in stores yet].


I highly recommend watching the second video I linked, for an explanation on why Tammi picked the shade layout she did and for the basics on colour theory & pairing brighter shades together - not like the launch video isn't interesting, or anything. BeautBean also has an interesting series on colour theory and which shades are easy to work with together, if you find the palette intimidating/overwhelming once it's in front of you and you just don't know where to start...






No comments:

Post a Comment