Thursday 7 March 2019

New & LE: The Icon eyeshadow palette, by Charlotte Tilbury...

"Inspired by the spotlights, rock stars and dancers Charlotte partied with at the Ku Club in Ibiza, these multi-coloured, multi-use shades glide across the eyes, lips and cheeks like silk-satin, and the rich molten textures can be used wet or dry"



I wasn't going to bother getting this, but I'd had a crap week and over the weekend I went shopping and wanted to treat myself to some makeup (because I hardly have any), so the display over the brand counter in front of the entrance to Selfridges offering Charlotte's new release lured me into the store and once inside it took the SA all of two minutes to persuade me to part with my money... 


Day eye [champagne, rose-gold & cranberry]

Date eye [gold, copper & bronze]

Diva eye [yellow gold, burnt orange & brick]

Disco eye [emerald, sapphire & black]

So far I've been using this palette in the trios they're grouped into [I'll post a EOTD of me mixing things up asap], as a series of complete-look-in-one looks to test how well everything wears, and I haven't had any problems with creasing or any transferring with using the non-matte shades anywhere other than my eyelids. The pigmentation on everything is amazing, the easy & quick way that the shades layer and blend to create new shades is just "wow" and the fallout on everything is minimal - all of the above swatches were done in one single swipe, so you'll get some idea of how rich the formulas are. 

In the future I'll probably use the Icon palette alongside matte shades from elsewhere as that's more my comfort level, but you can use this palette alone - the results are a lot less messy & more wearable then I'd imagined them being. I was underwhelmed with the brand's Star In Your Eyes palette [it sold out in the UK a few hours after I placed my online order for it, so I never reviewed it here], but the Icon palette feels like completely different formulas
and the results are simply stunning, not the "meh" I felt with the former palette.

I have a large beauty book that was published in the late 70s, that I sometimes try to recreate looks from and I feel as though the shades and finishes in the Icon palette are perfect for the era - so fans of 70s glamour need this palette in their lives.



The only real issue I see for people when using Icon, is the lack of true mattes; I'm happy to experiment, but I know that the majority feel more comfortable using a few mattes alongside their shimmers and metallics. The cranberry, brick and black shades look matte in the pans, but the formulas all have glow and faint specks of shimmer in. 

Another niggle with this palette is that two of the gold metallics are similar - there is some difference, but still similar enough for me to think that one of the shades could have been swapped for something else.





The Icon palette is £55 and is sold on the Charlotte Tilbury site and Selfridges.



Charlotte has multiple promo photos of models wearing shades from this palette to inspire you, on both product pages linked above. She also has video tutorials for three looks made using this palette here.


No comments:

Post a Comment