Wednesday 29 April 2015

NOTD: Crushed Candy Crackle Glaze over Happy Go Lucky (China Glaze)...

Crackle coat polishes were briefly trendy several years ago but since then they've fallen back out of favour and can now be cheaply picked up online, which is how I got today's Spotlight Crackle Coat [deal two is here].

As you can tell by my photo, Crushed Candy is the same colour as China Glaze's cult favourite polish For Audrey, so I was really keen on trying it out. 

As soon as I got it I knew I wanted to pair it with a yellow polish, which is why it's taken me so long to get round to using it - I'm not a lover of yellow polish so only had one bottle; a Ciate mini (Big Yellow Taxi) from last year's Advent calendar & whilst it swatches really nicely, it is really streaky and uneven when applied to nails, so I ended up giving up on it and tossing it in the bin. I then looked in my local Pound World as I remembered seeing some yellow polish there, and ended up buying a bottle of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear (Lemon Zest). Guess what? It was as streaky and uneven as the Ciate was.

Anyway, in the meantime I'd ordered another 12-for-£12 China Glaze deal (I'd already given 5 of the bottles to my sister before remembering that I hadn't taken photos and swatches for the blog), and one of the polishes I got is Happy Go Lucky - a cheery yellow creme.

Will it be third time lucky... or another unusable mess?

Happy Go Lucky is a no nonsense bright yellow creme that doesn't need to be layered over a white polish. The first coat can be streaky, so it alternates between two and three coats to neaten & level it out, but for such a light & bright shade I think that's very good.

The formula doesn't seem very thin to me, but it can pool at the shades of the nails (see photos), so be careful not to overload your brush whilst applying this polish.



I'm loving Crushed Candy for both the colour and formula: as the Crackle Glaze Crackle coat dries [within one minute] it starts to crack and separate, leaving a unique leopard skin pattern. 

Not only does it give an easy, professional pattern every time, but it is also hard wearing and helps my polish last longer without using another top coat over it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment