Wednesday 15 April 2015

I had to have it: Cupcakes and Unicorns FX polish by Orly...


I'm not a fan of bar glitter, but come on... look at the name...

Cupcakes and Unicorns is a polish in Orly's FX line; think of the FX polishes as glittery toppers to transform creme ones. I've not come across any FX polishes that are opaque on their own, so don't be surprised when they apply a lot sheerer then the appearance of the polish in the bottle.

As well as the red bar glitter, Cupcakes and Unicorns has a pink shimmer in the base (that flashes purple) that doesn't photograph very well, but looks stunning in natural daylight.

When I was googling for pics of this polish in action to see if I really had to have it I found that there are hundreds of photos showing Cupcakes and Unicorns over black nail polish, a few of it over pink, and nothing else. Layering the polish over black (or grey) is stunning and gives the most dramatic effects, but I wanted to be a little different, so I thought that I'd put my spare nail wheel to use and post some more colour options. 

In my mind cupcakes + unicorns = My Little Ponies, so what better way to test my bottle of Cupcakes and Unicorns then over a selection of polish shades that remind me of my childhood collection of My Little Pony figurines?

.
(L to R)
Ciate -  Sugar Plum
Ciate - Pepperminty 
Ciate - Big Yellow Taxi
Nails inc - Brunswick Gardens



(L to R)
Nicole by OPI - Sing You Like A Bee
OPI - Pink-Ing Of You 
Filthy Gorgeus London - Tea Bird [Orly Snowcone is similar]
(I believe this brand has gone out of business. But check your local Pound Land stores, as some have FGL polishes in stock)
Illamasqua - Purity


***

From googling before I bought Cupcakes And Unicorns, I realized that darker bases would give off more dramatic looks. Here are four of my favourite darker shades, so you can see what I mean about dramatic results...


(L - R)
OPI - 4 In The Morning
Zoya - Geneviene
Butter London - Saucy Jack
China Glaze - First Mate

No comments:

Post a Comment