Monday 7 September 2020

Out of this world? [reviewing R.E.M. edp, by Ariana grande]


 "In my dreams... I'm always the version of myself I was in Break Free tbh. I always wanted to spend more time as this character/in this world... so maybe that's just what I'll do. So much to look forward to" - Ariana Grande 


"R.E.M. is a scent designed to extend the boundaries of your universe"

R.E.M. is limitless, aiming to give you the power and courage to dream more. Inspired by Ariana’s love for space and the universe, the new online will make us feel as if we could conquer the entire galaxy. 


Break Free is one of my favourite Ariana songs, so the visuals for the marketing,  packaging & bottle of R.E.M. hooked me immediately and I stalked uk retailers online, but ended up finding a few 50ml bottles in my local Boots store early, without any testers.

Having learnt my lesson from past impulsive Ariana Grande fragrances, I  decided to wait until the official release I was all over that s$#t and purchased a bottle (I returned to the store the very next day and the bottles had been removed again), because I haven't learned.

Have I made another mistake, or has the Ariana Grande line of fragrances gotten fully out of the pom-pom era groove?

R.E.M. applies with a fresh and sharp hit of lavender and fig - clean, with a traditionally masculine zibe. I don't know if this fragrance contains mint, or if it's the way that the clean & masculine notes clash with the soft & sweet feminine notes, but sometimes I'm 95% sure that there is indeed some icy spearmint behind the light hints of salted caramel.

R.E.M. shares a soft n powdery floral & marshmallow heart and musk & sandalwood base, which her pom-pom bottle perfumes have. However there is an added watery quince-leàd fruity hit, plus the lavender note is very long, so carries through both the heart and lingers into the base too. The fruity juicyness and lavender freshness breaks up the sweetness & powdery notes and adds energy to the mix.

Official scent notes; Quince, Fig, Salted caramel, Zefir [marshmallow], Pear blossom, Lavender, Tonka bean, White musk, Sandalwood.


I'd rate R.E.M. as being on Cloud's level and above the other permanent releases [Ari, Sweet Like Candy & Thank U Next - I think Moonlight is being discontinued]; it still has a fluffy marshmallow heart like her earlier stuff, but is like Cloud as in feeling older, bolder and more unique, thanks to the clash of feminine and masculine vibes. If you enjoy Cloud then you'll probably enjoy this, and if you like the earlier editions in the line, then there's still a good chance that you'll like this. 

I'm still not overjoyed by the throw or longevity for the Ariana Grande line of fragrances; R.E.M. goes pretty close to the skin quickly and after 7 hours max, I'll only catch a occasional whiff - 7 hours longevity would be very good, if the fragrance wasn't so quick to go close to the skin. I think it's worth it overall, but it is something that may disappoint people. 


The 50ml bottle of R.E.M. costs £35.

There were no 30ml or 100ml bottles out when I got my 50ml bottle, so I don't know what the prices will be, or when the official release date is. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment