Wednesday 1 July 2020

A not-so-stupid love? [reviewing the Stupid Love eyeshadow palette, by Haus Laboratories].

We want you to color your own world. Escape into STUPID LOVE and embrace your color story with 18 shades of full-intensity pigment, inspired by Lady Gaga’s sixth album Chromatica. 

Colors in cool and warm tones clash and come together in new ways each time you create, taking your look from subtle pop to bold celebration. In this HAUS of color, you make the rules, with multiple finishes and silky smooth textures that unite to put the power of love in your hands - Haus Labs.



 For the brand's first limited edition palette, they've focused on blue and teal tones and have added coordinating neutrals in a mix of warm & cool light, medium & dark tones, to make the colour story more wearable. 

This was the first cosmetic item in four months that interested & excited me, so the brand is already scoring points for the interesting colour story and presentation,  plus I've enjoyed all of the other products I have from the brand. Being the  first cosmetic product to  make me go "ohh" in four months doesn't sound like something impressive to most people, but I'm someone with severe depression, anxiety, PTSD and a couple of long-term physical health issues, who spent years buying something new every other week to give myself to look forward to, so to lose interest in my usual vices for a while and not miss them, means that this really stood out to grab & hold my interest. 

Has the reality lived up to my expectations?




911 [Matte White], Free Woman [Metallic Silver], Enigma [Matte Baby Blue], 1000 Doves [Sheer Pink With Multi-Reflective Pearl], Plastic Doll [Matte Pale Pink], Stupid Love [Matte Mauve-Brown]


Light Up [Metallic White], Sine [Matte Cobalt Blue], Rain On Me [Sheer Blue With Multi-Reflective Pearl], Alice [Metallic Lavender], Sour Candy [Metallic Pink-Copper], Enemy [Matte Orange]


Peace [Matte Teal], Fun Tonight [Metallic Teal-Blue], Motion [Black With Multicolor Sparkle], Replay [Purple With Blue Sparkle], My Mind Matte Gray-Brown], Babylon [Metallic Bronze]


The first thing I did upon getting this palette was try the top row, as the quality of the white, sky blue and pastel pink matte shades were the one that I felt would be the most difficult shades in this palette, and the smoothness & richness of the white and pastel mattes let me know immediately that this palette was going to be a winner.

The smooth application, rich pigmentation and ease of blending which describes all-but-one of the mattes is superb, and the metallic and sparkling formulas are molten and not thick yet also not too thin - right on the creamy middle ground,  that I love. I feel that 17 out of 18 of the shades feel & apply as well as my other favourite mid to low high-end brands.



Sine (sign) is the only patchy shadow in the palette - it builds up fine, so it's not a fail. However; it does need that bit longer compared to everything else, so it's not a 10/10 "this is a flawless palette" either. 

I haven't had any real problems with any of the other formulas for any of the shades in this palette; all have rich pigmentation, yet non-messy easy-to-diffuse formulas. So easy to work with - I honestly can't come up with any negatives for this product, and I have been stern over the performance of the shadow formulas in the palette, as I'm cautious about being overly positive in reviews and try to come up with not-so-great things to balance things out. 


 I've found this palette to be much more wearable than any other blue-based palette I've owned as there is a nice selection of warm and cool neutrals to balance out the colour story, so it's easier for me to come up with a wider variety of looks that I've managed to achieve with my other blue-focused palettes.

You can use this palette as a regular 'everyday' one, as the great mix of more neutral shades make it easy to skip out on blue tones altogether [I hope to fit in a few EOTD posts featuring non-blue looks, before the palette sells out - camera willing],  so I feel that the price tag is fitting, as you are getting both a trendy colour story and something wearable too.


The Stupid Love palette costs £46 and is sold through Amazon UK and Haus Labs.

[it's currently OOS on the Haus Labs site, but I think it might return soon as it was extremely quick to sell out there]

No comments:

Post a Comment