Thursday 2 January 2020

Are reboots always worse? [reviewing the Rose Gold Remastered eyeshadow palette]·

I had no plans to ever try the Rose Gold Remastered eyeshadow palette, as I had the original Textured Rose Gold palette and disliked it so much that I gave it away without testing it enough for a review on this blog [I got it after learning that it was being discontinued, so didn't think it was worth struggling with just for the sake of a needless blog post] - the formulas of the shadows just didn't play well with my chemistry and hooded eyes.  Plus; re-releasing a limited edition item is kind of a cheat move. Right?



However... Feel Unique had the palette for 35% off over the '19 Black Friday weekend, plus I got another 10% off as Huda Beauty is my 'brand for life' AND I also had just earned a £5 gift voucher in their reward club, so in the end, I just couldn't resist buying it, as it worked out at £27 for me.

So; have the newer formulas improved my negative feelings towards a pretty colour story in the brand's crappy original formulations, or should they and I have both left this palette in the past?





All shades done with one dip into the pan 


The mattes in the original palette were very inconsistent; around half were pretty decent, but the other half were powdery & patchy and didn't wear well. However the talc-free formula here is in line with the one in the brand's Obsession palettes and other large eyeshadow palettes - easy to work with, fade/crease resistant and well-wearing. The shade repeats are the neutral selections; Suede, Coco, Maneater, Henna and Sandalwood. The three new shades are the three rose shades; Risqué [replacing Bossy]; a rich plum red tone, Doll Face which is a bright red pink version of the original palette's pink [Flamingo] shade, and Demure [replacing Shy] which is a muted coral pink. The black matte shade [Black Truffle] is another shade repeat, that this time has been given a special wet/dry formula, making it a great eyeliner.

The  creamy, light reflecting, pressed pearl formula is my favourite from the brand and it was the only one that I enjoyed in the original palette. The shade here [Moon Dust] is also in the original palette, but the original also had a shade called Angelic, which now lives on in the brand's Desert Dusk eyeshadow palette. The Moon Dust shade can also be used as a cheek highlight.

The textured foil formula in the original Rose Gold palette was the worst one to work with on me, but the brand's creamy metallic formula is a winner: Dubai, Fling, Trust Fund, Rose Gold, 24K and #Blessed are reborn with the formula. Pink Diamond [soft pink with a hint of silver] and Bubbly [champagne gold] are new introductions for this palette. I love the creamy metallic formulas in the brand's current eyeshadow palettes and the metallic shades here are no different - the formulas in the original palette were uneven, prone to creasing and transferred a lot, but these are silky smooth and barely transfer (I have deepset/hooded eyes, so no non-matte shade is 100% non-transferable).



And now for the downsides... For me, there aren't any big issues - and this is a palette I was really nitpicky with. If I was being really picky, I would have picked a slightly cooler shade of brown, as it isn't overly different from Henna on me, but that is likely down to my skintone.





The new formulas have made up for the poor formulas used for the first edition of the Rose Gold palette, and the slight shade readjustment has made everything flow that bit more nicely too - every time I open this palette, new look ideas instantly pop into my head. Also; the card packaging is excellent and looks & feels so much more luxurious in comparison to the original plastic casing and clear lid.

I didn't think that any eyeshadow palette that Huda could create would compare to the New Nudes one in my eyes, but... I think that I prefer this one a little bit more, as I've not glanced at New Nudes since my Rose Gold Remastered arrived. I was excited about the Mercury Retrograde palette release, but it's taking me a long time to fully test the shades in it for a review, because Rose Gold Remastered keeps on calling me back.



The Rose Gold Remastered eyeshadow palette costs £56 and is available on Feel UniqueSelfridges and Cult Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment