Monday 11 February 2019

Hey Britney; is it my Prerogative?


“Prerogative is all about empowerment and confidence - we all deserve to feel free and fierce!" - Britney Spears.

After 14 years and 25 fragrances, the Britney Spears fragrance company has left Elizabeth Arden and has secured a new fragrance contract with Revlon. They have celebrated this sign of a fresh start by releasing Britney's first unisex fragrance that was inspired by pushing boundaries... 

I'm excited to try this; I went to her UK Piece Of Me tour (yes, yes; I'm well aware it's pre-recorded vocals) and they handed out scented wristbands, so I already knew I kinda liked it. But now I'm keen to find out if the fragrance changes on my skin.




Prerogative opens with fizzy berries - sort of an generic blackberry/raspberry type accord - that are spiced With pink pepper. I can't separate any lily or similar floral notes - there are some mossy florals [sort of like that wet, green scent when you're in a woody area after rain] The coffee, saffron and cream notes come through soon after and give Prerogative a sweet & spicy vibe - the coffee note in Prerogative is much stronger compared to the one in Private Show, which I'm loving as a coffee fiend.

The spice and quiet sweet from the lingering berries mingling with the cream & saffron contrasts with the coffee & mossy florals, providing energy and warmth to the fragrance, with the slight hint of latex mingled in the woody base darkening things up and preventing the sweetness from being too loud. 

 As Prerogative does have more energy and warmth compared to the brand's other releases, I've found that it makes a great casual everyday-type fragrance over the autumn/winter seasons. I'm going to keep on using it into the spring, though I do think that it'll become too much as we go into brighter & warmer weather.

Official scent notes: pink pepper, goji berries, apricot, red calla lily, latex petals, espresso foam, saffron cream, sandalwood and amberwood.




Prerogative is the first Britney Spears fragrance under their new licence with Revlon and I was a bit concerned that they'd derail the more adult direction that Elizabeth Arden had been starting to take with the fragrances and instead take a cheap 'n tacky quick-cash approach, but I most say that I really enjoy their debut effort; Prerogative is a slightly-more-traditionally-feminine-side-of unisex, spicy oriental edp. 

I'm a little bit disappointed that the longevity isn't as good as the Elizabeth Arden releases, averaging around the the 5-6 hour mark. However I do still think that Prerogative is well worth testing if you see it in a store [Boots, Superdrug, The Fragrance Shop, The Perfume Store].




No comments:

Post a Comment