Tuesday 4 August 2015

NOTD: Yellow Polka Dot Bikini by China Glaze...

As I've mentioned a few times I'm not a yellow polish lover, but in Gravey3rdgirl's recent YouTube video's she's been wearing Orly Glowstick polish and I'd been umming and ahhing over it as it looked so cheerful and happy. 

Anyway; I mentioned in a post on MUA nail board that I was probably going to make Glowstick my next purchase, when Impoverished by Polish let me know that China Glaze Yellow Polka Dot Bikini is a dupe for Glowstick, and sent me the link to her comparison post for the two polishes (here). Since she found that YPDB had the better formula in comparison between the two polishes, not to mention that China Glaze is considerably cheaper than Orly, I decided to go ahead and order it.


Should I have just gone for the Orly, like I originally planned?


Yellow Polka Dot Bikini is the colour of a tennis ball; a neon yellow with a teensy hint of green, that dries to a satiny finish. I'm not a yellow lover, but this is so cheerful and happy that I couldn't resist it. Yellow Polka Dot Bikini is meant to be a dupe for Orly Glowstick and is cheaper to buy, so that is another plus in it's favour.

Out of China Glaze's huge neon polish range Yellow Polka Dot Bikini is one of the stand outs to me as you can get it opaque within 3 coats without too many streaks when you skip the white base, which is a problem I keep encountering with their older neon polishes that I've been trying. However this is still a neon that really does benefit from being layered over a white base; whilst the shade is bright within three coats when worn alone, using two coats over a white base will give you the true neon shade that you see in the bottle without any streaks. The polish is smooth and bubble free to apply, and dries extremely quickly; within one minute.

I can't really complain about my slight problems with the formula as it is what we expect from a neon polish; almost all neons work best over a white base, dry matte or satin, and are a bit tricky to work with, because of the intense colour pigments the formulas contain.






You can buy Yellow Polka Dot Bikini from Nail Polish Direct for £3.95 + free p&p.

If you don't have a white creme polish that works for you, OPI Put A Coat On basecoat works brilliantly with neons (it is what I used in my pic). I bought my bottle from this eBay store for only £3.62 (+ £2.88 p+p).

No comments:

Post a Comment