Tuesday 21 September 2010

Review: Forever EDP by Mariah Carey







- - - - - - - - - - -
The fragrance
- - - - - - - - - - -

As I've mentioned in other reviews I'm not a fan of tuberose; I find it overpowering and I nearly always suffer from a headache when I wear it. So it's recently become a challenge to myself to find a wearable tuberose-based fragrance. FOREVER has a fruity opening, so I tried that first as I thought that the fruit notes would freshen and lighten up the florals.


I was right about that; the opening of fresh, life-like lotus and juicy, slightly sweet, yet tart apple notes is gorgeous. It's both energizing and fresh whilst being understated and feminine.

And when the tuberose note does develop, it still seems fresh and juicy. I can also detect the gardenia, but I'm sure there's another fruity note hidden there too; it's hinted at, but is too subtle for me to separate. Maybe they added more apple notes?

I was loving FOREVER until it burnt through to the flat base, I found it very disappointing. Whist the musk does continue the freshness to the fragrance going, it also overtakes the mix of woods. I get a slight note of sandalwood, but that's it. I thought it was a let-down.


- - - - - - - - - -
Scent notes
- - - - - - - - - -

Neroli, lotus, green apple, tuberose, gardenia, white musk and exotic wood.


- - - - - - - - -
The bottle
- - - - - - - - -

Described as art deco; I think the clear bottle meant to resemble an uncut diamond. It's unique and eye-catching. However I don't like the cap, which is taller than the bottle itself.





- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Other buying considerations
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's a light fragrance considering it's a white floral, so the lasting power reflects that. It burns down within four hours. Not great, but it seems average for modern fragrances.

Florals are generally wearable all year round, but the fruity start means I'd personally think of it as a spring/summer fragrance.

FOREVER is great for daytime, both casual [thanks to the fruit] and work [the florals are light, so colleges won't be adverse to it]. I find it too fresh for evening wear, but I suppose it all depends on what you like to do it your spare time. If you go to clubs this could work as you won't suffer any ill effects you get from combining heat and a stronger fragrance.


- - - - - - -
Verdict
- - - - - - -

I felt totally let down by this one. The sweet'sour fruits and the fresh florals are surprisingly complex yet subtle, at least they were until the musk came along and white washed over everything. If you happen to be a fan of musk I'd highly recommend this to you, but for myself this is a no-go.

If your planning to buy someone a fragrance for Christmas I think this a good bet. It's fresh but slightly sweet, isn't too strong and is quite inexpensive for a EDP.


Are you a fan or Michael Kors Very Hollywood EDP? Here's a more purse friendly version.


- - - - -
RRP
- - - - -

50ml £27

No comments:

Post a Comment