Friday 23 October 2020

Perfect for autumn? [reviewing the Desert Dusk eyeshadow palette, by Huda Beauty].

"Our palette is filled with vibrant, highly-pigmented shades that reflect the exotic landscape of the Arabian desert around us. We’ve introduced three new formulas to reflect all its dazzling mystery and charm, in particular the iridescent duo-chrome formulas just completely capture the mysterious desert mirages. I spent so much time to ensure that every shade was absolutely perfect, and every colour is so special to me” – Huda Kattan

Adventure on an exotic Arabian journey with the latest eyeshadow palette by Huda Beauty. This richly toned palette features 18 versatile shades that can be layered in infinite ways to create a vast array of looks with just one palette. Layer different textures to create unique combinations or add intrigue to smooth matte shades with a duo-chrome topper. From subtle, natural looks to dramatic statements and bold glittering looks, this palette will become your new essential for all your makeup routines - Huda Beauty 






Today I have a review for something I've had for a while, and had assumed that I had already reviewed; Huda Beauty's Desert Dusk eyeshadow palette.

The colour story is made for autumn, but does the formula for the brand's oldest [that is still available] palette compare to the brand's newer releases?




[so sorry for the iffy swatch photo quaity; I'm still without a camera, so had to rely on my phone camera to go with my existing photos]


Huda's pearl shadows are my favourite formula from the brand, so getting six of  them in this palette is a major win with me. The pink/gold shade Angelic was also in the original Rose Gold palette, but was left out of the re-release, so now Desert Dusk is the only palette with it. T
he other five pearl shades [Turkish Delight, Cashmere, Royal, Nefertiti, and Blood Moon] are all new to this palette.

What made the brand's first eyeshadow palette [the original Rose Gold palette] such a hyped stand out & unique in it's day was the seven 'textured' topper eyeshadow shades, but I have hooded eyes so find that they transfer over the day - plus I'm not a huge eyeshadow topper fan in general, so think that getting seven topper-only shades in one palette is a waste. When I learnt that there were fewer toppers in the Desert Dusk palette with a different formula [in comparison to the seven topper shades in the original Rose Gold palette] I was already delighted, but when I got the palette and started playing with it I found that you can build the duo-chrome topper formulas [Retrograde, Twilight, and Celestial] to be opaque with no problems (using a finger for application rather than a brush, is best), which is great news for those of us who don't bother with toppers too often.

Desert Dusk has eight matte shades [Blazing, Saffron, Amethyst, Oud, Amber, Eden, Musk, and Desert Sand] which was disappointing to me at first; with all of the shimmer and duo-chrome going on in Desert Dusk you need plenty of matte shades to balance it, so I wasn't overjoyed to find they are in the single figure range here. However I love the light-to-dark shade selections and find it easy to make complete looks with this palette only. I've never felt that this palette was missing anything.

The only thing I dislike about Desert Dusk is the shade Cosmo; it is a pure glitter topper, so there isn't a noticeable base to it and it looks and acts like loose glitter once applied. Very messy, even with glitter glue. I blame Desert Dusk for the current trend of adding pressed glitter to eyeshadow palettes...






Desert Dusk was my first Huda Beauty purchase and the formulas still feel as good, compared to how they were almost 3 years ago - every eyeshadow palette [except the original Rose Gold & Neon Green] has been fabulous to work with. A consistent brand overall.

I admittedly ignore this for long stretches, as I use New Nudes and Rose Gold more, but whenever I pick this palette up I fall in love all over again. I don't feel that I can not recommend it to people who love their autumnal colour stories.


Again; I'm sorry for the substandard swatch photos, which don't do this palette any justice. I took some photos and had started to make note to use for this review before my camera died, so I didn't want to waste them.


The Desert Dusk eyeshadow palette costs £56 and can be bought from Boots [online only]SelfridgesCult Beauty and Feel Unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment