Sunday 4 October 2020

Yay or nay? [reviewing Musk | 12 edp, by Kayali [Huda Beauty]].

Emanating power and confidence, MUSK | 12 begins with magnificent notes of Lotus Flower. Laced with exquisite Musk, the scent shines a light on one of the world’s most mysterious ingredients. A voluptuous blend of Vanilla and creamy Sandalwood gives this distinguished fragrance an enchanting and tempered soul - Huda's site

Today I'll be taking a closer look at the edition in Kayali's layering collection that I'd been the least interested in trying.

Has it won me over, or should I have left it alone?


Musk | 12 surprised me with it's lightness; the lotus is the leading floral scent note, which provides a sweet & watery veil over the usually-heavy-on-me jasmine. The freesia note is very light on me; if I could change one thing about this fragrance, I would make the freesia a little bit richer. The airy & slightly powdered musk note is present immediately and lasts throughout the perfume's wear-time.

I think of a vanilla and sandalwood base as being a perfect combination - so creamy and calming. Much of the time I do find this musk/vanilla/sandalwood combination boring,  but here it is perfectly balanced and very authentic - no heavy sweetness and the scent notes are at the same level, so nothing stands in front of the others. This fragrance is the lightest edition in Kayali's layering range,  so has the shortest 'life' when worn alone; about six hours maximum. 

Official scent notes; lotus flower,  Freesia, jasmine,  musk, vanilla and sandalwood. 


Before becoming familiar with this line of fragrances, I'd read about them online and decided that Musk would be the one that I wouldn't enjoy...but it is actually my favourite in the layering collection. I enjoy it alone, it is great for lightening heavy scents, it's cooling in warm weather, gives a fresh icy vibe in cool weather - it's just a lovely all rounder.

The number in the name represents the number of final formulations it took to tweak the notes in the fragrance, for them to be happy with the balance between  the scent notes.


Musk | 12 is available in 50ml bottles for £67 and 100ml bottles for £84, as well as a 10ml in a 4-piece set [Citrus, Elixir, Musk & Vanilla] for £75.

You can buy the fragrances from Feel UniqueCult BeautyBoots [online only] and Selfridgesenjoyed

No comments:

Post a Comment