Tuesday 27 February 2024

A hug from a rose... [reviewing Molecule 04 edt, by Escentric Molecules]

"What I love about Javanol is its almost psychedelic freshness. It smells as if liquid metallic grapefruit peel were poured over a bed of velvety cream-coloured roses" - Geza Schoen  

Molecule 04 consists of Javanol, pure and singular. It is a sandalwood-type molecule that retains the radiance and endurance of natural sandalwood but is sheer and transparent like no sandalwood in nature.

Javanol is like Iso E Super, the molecule in Molecules 01, in some ways. Like Iso E Super, it comes and goes. The person wearing it loses the ability to smell it after a short while, only to re-connect with it later.

After beginning to test Escentric 01 for my last post, I remembered them that I'd received a different Escqentric Molecules fragrance in the Flannels 2022 Beauty Advent Calendar - I'd put it in a storage box that I use for spare bodycare to test later, but then forgot all about it as it soon became buried under other stuff.

I think that it's beyond time for me to dig it out and give it a fair chance to impress me...



Molecule 04 isn't an easy fragrance to review because it is designed to appear very quiet & minimal to the wearer, so apologies in advance for my scaled down review. 

I love rose & sandalwood and adore the sense of warm creaminess that the combination of them provide here. It's not a complex fragrance, yet I don't mind because the authentic-seeming accord provides a comforting feel - a cuddle in a bottle. 

Grapefruit? I do sometimes detect a metallic tang interwoven with the rose & sandalwood, but it doesn't remind me of grapefruit or other citrus; instead it brings to mind pencil lead, rather like Escentric 01.


I think that the scent itself is lovely - I enjoy it much more than Escentric 01. The aura also packs more of a punch in comparison with Escentric 01, but I have the same complaint as I did for Escentric 01; the fragrance seems to randomly 'hide' for a while, before randomly becoming detectable for a minute or two, then disappearing again. I wear fragrance for myself to enjoy and I find this type of composition frustrating, since I can't detect it on myself most of the weartime.

Like Escentric 01, I think that Molecule 04 layers really well 
with Jennifer Lopez's Promise. Another favourite combination I've recently found is Britney Spears Naked Fantasy


You can purchase Escentric Molecules from Escentric Molecules, Harvey Nichols, Flannels, Harrods, Liberty, Space NK and Cult Beauty. 

30ml refill bottle £50
30ml portable bottle - £55
100ml - £100

No comments:

Post a Comment