Tuesday 25 October 2022

Re-do the Review: Killer Queen edp, by Katy Perry...

Coty released Killer Queen in 2013 and described it as being a playful, sophisticated, powerful, edgy and delicious fragrance, that reflects the rebellious spirit of Katy...

"Killer Queen has been in my vocabulary since I was 15, because of the song ‘Killer Queen’ by Queen. Freddie Mercury painted the lyrics of this woman who I wanted to be. She seemed very powerful, and she captivated a room when she walked in. I feel like, after all this time, it was appropriate to use that name in association with something I did. I feel like I’m falling, finally, into that woman Freddie painted" - Katy perry


I recently rewrote & re-uploaded my review for the Royal Revolution edp, after receiving a bottle earlier this year and finding that my past feelings on it have changed quite a bit. Afterwards I became curious to find out if my feelings towards Killer Queen have also changed over the years, so bought a cheap bottle on eBay to find out.

100ml bottles of Killer Queen are widely available under the £20 mark online and in outlet stores, and 50ml bottles & gift sets show up regularly too. Therefore I thought I'd do what I did with Royal Revolution and replace my old review with this one, to share my updated thoughts on it...



Killer Queen opens with a rich plum note. I can also immediately separate some raspberry & blackberry, as well as a hint of pomegranate. The plum note is long and distinctive, so carries through the entire longevity of the perfume.

I'm not familiar with celosia, but I get something that is reminiscent to a fruity tea, which I'm suspecting is it. It's a bit of a guessing game to separate the other floral notes [apart from the listed jasmine & bergamot] from the sweetly powdered floral jumble heart of the fragrance; the praline develops pretty quickly to blend with the plum & growing sprinkling of patchouli, and the mix takes over the spotlight.

I do suspect that there is some combination of orange blossom, rose, and/or magnolia in Killer Queen, but I'm not totally confident. The soft sandalwood emerges and combines with the patchouli & praline, which adds a hint of heated creaminess & more noticeable nutty undertone to the blend - there's something in the final drydown that reminds me of LancĂ´me's La Vie Est Belle.

Official scent notes; wild berries, dark plum, bergamot, velvety red flower [Celosia], Sambac jasmine, rainbow plumeria [frangipani], cashmere, patchouli and liquid praline.


Killer Queen is very pleasant & easy to wear over the autumn/winter months, but it's hasn't proven to be something that I'd personally recommend wearing during warmer months; the fruit notes dominated  the fragrance during the warmer weather and smother the more interesting features, like the pomegranate & tea-like note and the more delicate sweet & powdered florals.  During the autumn & winter months I find this to be a
warm & comforting easy-to-wear blend, which does lend a bit of a more enjoyable air to Killer Queen to me nowadays; I think that I mainly wore my original bottle over the warmer months, which prevented me from getting the full experience.

I do recommend this to people looking for an affordable 'everyday'  sweet fragrance, during the autumn & winter months. It wears for around 7 hours; nothing amazing,but it does maintain a small aura, rather then going really close to the skin. Great for something so affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment