Saturday, 6 September 2014

First impressions: Royal Revolution edp by Katy Perry...

"an irresistible floral fragrance inspired by the beauty of blue diamond"

Royal Revolution is described as floral and slightly fruity. The top notes include aromas of red pomegranate and pink freesia. Jasmine and orange flower are enriched with sandalwood in the heart, while the base includes unusually mystical notes of blackthorn with addition of vanilla orchid, leather and skin musk.


On me Royal Revolution is pretty similar to Killer Queen, just a bit quieter and less jammy; a celeb-scent standard of sweet fruits, jasmine, and sandalwood, and musk infused vanilla. Not "eww, get it off me", but certainly not anything that grabbed my attention.

The most disappointing aspects for me were (in order):
(A) The blackthorn note; I'd never tried a fragrance with any blackthorn in before, and the exotic name sounded all gothic. However the version of it in Royal Revolution turns out to be the same kind of artificial berry note that is commen in Coty fragrances, and could really be classed as any berry note - raspberry, blackberry, blueberry etc.
(B) There are no detectable leather accords on me - and the leather accord is why I wanted to try it in the first place, as I'm looking for a low cost, slightly masculine autumn/winter fragrance for everyday use.
(C) the longevity is also the weakest out of the Katy Perry range (except the Oh So Sheer version of Killer Queen) - it wears for about 4 - 5 hours on average, and it goes very close to the skin within an hour.


Coty are also behind the upcoming Lady Gaga release, so I hope that the leather accord in that is a lot better then it is here (although that isn't really saying much - anything that I can actually detect would be classed as an improvement).

No comments:

Post a Comment